“Adult woman has right to go and reside with a man of her wishes”; Delhi High Court

    The order has been passed by the Delhi High Court in the habeas corpus petition which was moved by the family members of the said women.As per the petition, she went missing on 12/09/20. A man named Babloo was identified as a suspect for her being missing from her parent’s house

    The said woman was traced and was produced before the court through video-conferencing. The court noted that in her statements made under section 164 the Criminal Procedure Code, she categorically stated that she went with Babloo of her own free will and accord and that she has married him.

    In the light of these observations, the court directed the concerned woman to live with his husband babloo. The court also further directed that;

    We direct the police authorities to escort her to the residence of Babloo. The police authorities shall also counsel the petitioner and the parents of Sulekha not to take the law into their hands or threaten either the woman or Babloo. The mobile phone number of the head Constable of the police station where the concerned woman would reside with Babloo should be provided to both Sulekha and Babloo so that they may get in touch with police officials in the case of need

    Therefore the Delhi High Court has provided relief to an adult woman who left her home to marry the man of her choice. After taking her consent and wishes into consideration, the court noted that being a major, she has a free will to reside wherever she wants and with whoever she wishes.